Cloudera Manager version 3 and CDH3 have reached End of Maintenance (EOM) as of June 20th, 2013. Cloudera will not support or provide patches for any of the Cloudera Manager version 3 and CDH3 releases. To view documentation related to later releases, click the Documentation link at the top of this page.
Introducing Hue Job Browser
The Hue Job Browser application enables you to examine the Hadoop Map/Reduce jobs running on your Hadoop cluster. Job Browser presents the job and tasks in layers. The top layer is a list of jobs, and you can double-click a job to view a list of that job's tasks. You can then view a task's attempts and the properties of each attempt, such as state, start and end time, and output size. To troubleshoot failed jobs, you can also view the logs of each attempt. For more information about Hadoop Map/Reduce, see the Hadoop Map/Reduce Tutorial.
Job Browser Installation and Configuration
Job Browser is one of the applications that can be installed as part of Hue. For more information about installing Hue, see Hue Installation.
By default, a JobBrowser user can see submitted job information for all users – both his/her own jobs and those of other users. If this behavior is not desirable, you can change the value of the share_jobs property in the etc/hue/jobbrowser.ini file. Setting this property to false will restrict the viewing of submitted jobs to only the job submitter and Hue administrators.
Starting Job Browser
To start Job Browser, click this icon
in the application bar at the bottom of the Hue web page. The Job Browser List window opens in the Hue
The JobBrowser shows both recent and retired jobs. Retired jobs show somewhat limited information — for example, information on Maps/Reduces and job duration is not available. Jobs are designated as Retired by the JobTracker based on the value of the mapred.jobtracker.retirejob.interval. The retired jobs will disappear when the JobTracker is restarted.
You can sort the job list in ascending or descending order based on the contents of a column, by clicking on the column heading. Click again to reverse the sort order. For example, if you are mainly interested in recent jobs, you can sort on the Status column to sort retired jobs to the end of the list.
You can also filter the list as discussed below.
Filtering the Job Browser List
To filter the jobs displayed in the Job Browser list:
- To filter the jobs by their state (such as Running or Completed), choose a state from the Filter Jobs menu.
- To filter by a user who ran the jobs, enter the user's name in the User Name Filter query box.Note that if the JobBrowser is configured to disable job sharing, you can only view your own jobs.
- To filter by job name, enter the name in the Text Filter query box.
- To clear the filters, choose All States from the Filter Jobs menu and delete any text in the User Name Filter and Text Filter query boxes.
Viewing Job Information and Logs
To view job information and logs:
- In the Job Browser window, double-click the job you want to view, or
click this icon next to the job. The recent tasks
associated with the job are displayed. (For retired jobs, task information is not
available. Counter information is also not available, and metadata is
- Click the Metadata tab to view metadata information about the job as a whole.
- Click the Counters tab to view Hadoop counters for the job.
- To view the attempts for a task, double-click the task or click this icon next to the task.The attempts associated with the task are
- Click the Metadata tab to view metadata information about the task.
- Click the Counters tab to view Hadoop counters for the task.
- To view information about a single task attempt, double-click the task attempt or click the icon next to the task.
- To view information about the task attempt, click the Metadata tab.The
metadata associated with the attempt is displayed.
- To view the Hadoop counters for the task attempt, click the Counters
tab.The counters associated with the attempt is displayed.
- To view detailed log information about a task attempt, click the Logs
tab.The logs associated with the task attempt is displayed.
- To return to the list of tasks for the current job, click the job number next to Job near the top of the window.